The Tribal Climate Change Guide is part of the Pacific Northwest Tribal Climate Change Project. For more information, visit: If you would like to add to or amend information included in this guide, please complete this Google Form. If you have additions or suggestions for this website, please email


Emergency Watershed Program State Contacts

USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) administers the Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWPP) which responds to emergencies created by natural disasters. It is not necessary for a national emergency to be declared for an area to be eligible for assistance. The EWP Program is a recovery effort aimed at relieving imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods, fires, windstorms, and other natural disasters. All projects must have a project sponsor. NRCS may bear up to 75 percent of the eligible construction cost of emergency measures (90 percent within limited-resource areas as identified by the U.S. Census data). The remaining costs must come from local sources and can be in the form of cash or in-kind services

Category Taxonomy
Funding Amount
NRCS completes a Damage Survey Report which provides a site-bysite investigation of the work and measures necessary to protect life
and property from additional flooding and soil erosion. NRCS will
only provide funding for work that is necessary to reduce applicable
threats. Should sponsors want to increase the level of protection, the
sponsor will be responsible for paying 100 percent of the costs of the
upgrade and additional work
Matching Funds
The NRCS contribution toward the implementation of
emergency measures may not exceed 75 percent of
the construction cost, including work done to offset or
mitigate adverse impacts as a result of the emergency
However, if NRCS determines that an area qualifies as a
limited resource area, the Federal contribution toward
the implementation of emergency measures may not
exceed 90 percent of the construction cost of such
emergency measures.
Public and private landowners are eligible
for assistance but must be represented by
a project sponsor.
Sponsors include legal subdivisions of
the State, such as a city, county, general
improvement district, conservation district,
or any Native American tribe or tribal
Contact Information
If your land has suffered severe damage that may qualify
for the EWP Program, you should contact your local
NRCS office and request assistance