Social and Economic Development Strategies for Native Americans


Deadline passed as of June 22, 2017. Deadline for 2018 unknown. ANA promotes social and economic self-sufficiency in communities through SEDS grants. These competitive financial assistance grants support locally determined projects designed to reduce or eliminate community problems and achieve community goals. This approach to promoting self-sufficiency encourages communities to shift away from programs that result in dependency on services and move toward projects that increase community and individual productivity through community development. SEDS grants fund social and economic development projects in on- and off-reservation native communities and provide federal support for self-determination and self-governance among Native American people. ANA also provides technical assistance through contractors who will help potential applicants with the planning and program development needed for a successful proposal. See the ANA website for a listing of technical assistance providers in your region.

Category Taxonomy
Funding Amount
Individuals awards between $50,000 and $375,000
Matching Funds
Grantees must provide at least 20% of the total approved cost of the project.
Eligible applicants include Federally recognized Indian Tribes; consortia of Indian Tribes; incorporated non-Federally recognized Tribes; incorporated, non-profit, multi-purpose, community-based Indian organizations; urban Indian centers; National or regional incorporated non-profit Native American organizations with Native American community-specific objectives; Alaska Native villages, as defined in the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act and/or non-profit village consortia; incorporated, non-profit Alaska Native, multi-purpose, community-based organizations; non-profit Alaska Native Regional Corporations/Associations in Alaska with village-specific projects; non-profit native organizations in Alaska with village-specific projects; public and non-profit private agencies serving Native Hawaiians; public and private non-profit agencies serving native peoples from Guam, American Samoa, or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (the populations served may be located on these islands or in the United States); tribally controlled community colleges, tribally controlled post-secondary vocational institutions, and colleges and universities located in Hawaii, Guam, American Samoa, or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands that serve Native Pacific Islanders; and, non-profit Alaska Native community entities or tribal governing bodies (Indian Reorganization Act or Traditional Councils) as recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs.